Friday, July 22, 2005

Watch Your Six

That's fighter pilot speak for "watch your back" or "cover your ass"...I had a good ol father/daughter talk with my dad the other day. I personally think he looks for places to practice his Navy jargon, so as to not loose touch. But those are good memories for him and I like him sharing those with me. We didn't reach a conclusion to my problem, but I walked away feeling much better. There actually isn't a conclusion to my problem...it's just one of those things that will have to work itself out. Time is the only healer...those are the worst. But enough about that...let's talk about yesterday.

Around the first of the year, the President of the company I work for decided to have lunch with all of the departments separately throughout this year to get to know everyone better. I rolled my eyes at first, but actually many good things are coming out of these little lunches. Well yesterday was our day, my department and the one that works closely with us. We had to introduce ourselves, tell how long we've been with the company, what depts. we've worked in, and what we do for fun blah, blah, blah. Considering my high aptitude to say something stupid and my chronic foot in mouth condition, surprisingly, my little oration went off without a hitch. But that's not actually what I want to discuss...let's chat about Mary.

Mary is fairly quiet and reserved and a sweet sweet lady, a little older than my mom but not quite my grandmother's age (I know that gives you absolutely nothing to base anything on but it's a good point of reference for me) in the sister department. She started by saying her description would be short and sweet, gave all of the appropriate info, and then ended by saying that she spends her spare time being active in the protect the seals campaign. That sparked Mr. President's interest so he started asking questions and stated that he didn't realize there was a problem. That lead Mary to look at him very matter-of-factly and say, "Well they bludgeon them to death and skin them alive." HEL-LOH. Talk about bringing the mood down. Needless to say, he moved on to the next person.

Now don't get me wrong, I think that's awesome...the fact that Mary didn't give the standard "I golf" "I spend time with my family" "I'm active in my church" answers that everyone else was giving and that she's really passionate about something. I did some poking around and after what I've read, she's spurred me on to writing some emails concerning these inhumane acts as well. But in the middle of lunch with the Prez? Whoa.

Oh well, whatever. I'm off to watch my six and send hate mail to Red Lobster.

Comments:
I love baby seals. They taste like chicken.
 
Niiiice.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]