Tuesday, December 06, 2005

'Tis the Season

This always happens to me, without fail. Whenever I walk into the local greeting card store the sudden urgent need to visit the closest restroom hits me instantly. And so badly that I lose all sense of concentration. Seriously. I'll get back to this thought in a moment.

I love to send cards. I love the unexpected surprise of getting something special in the mail, it's an instant smile maker. My hope is that others get the same pleasure as I do out of knowing someone thought about them and made such a simple yet special gesture.

I also adore wrapping gifts. No giftbags for me...just give me rolls of patterned and solid colored wrapping paper, assorted ribbons and bows, and every size and shape of box imaginable. It's puts me right in my element.

I read an article about being the perfect gift giver once, and though it can be quite a lofty goal, I strive to achieve that it every gift situation. Whenever someone is directly asked, "What do you want for Christmas?" or "What do you want for your birthday?" the inevitable answer is, "I dunno." I know that's usually my response. It's hard to think when put on the spot. So for this reason I try to pay attention, listen, and remember conversations when I'm with friends and family. I often get gift ideas that way. I'm not opposed to giving money or giftcards if that is what is needed or wanted though. For instance, my cousin is dying for some sort of marine GPS thingy for his fishing boat so for Christmas he has requested Bass Pro Shop giftcards only.

All of these things, the perfect gift, eloquent presentation, and an appropriate card, go hand in hand. I'll admit that in addition to doing something nice and meaningful for those you love, there is also an element of selfishness involved. If you think that I secretly smile to myself when someone says, "You've done a beautiful wrapping job as always!" (especially the "as always" part) when seeing a gift from me, or "You remembered!" when opening a gift, or "That is perfect!" when reading the attached card...you're absolutely right. Pleasing other people is innately pleasing...as long as it's appreciated. I don't ultimately do it for myself, I've just had so many people in my life show me such thoughtfulness and kindness that I want to return it or pass it along as well.

All of that blather being said, you can imagine what a predicament the opening situation puts me in! I'm not a fan of sing songy rhythmic cards so that makes the perfect gift giving scenario a little harder since that is the majority of cards out there. There I am, standing in the aisle, legs crossed, trying not to do the pee-pee dance, and trying to find the not so over the top, humorous, not too cheesy, special card. And to add to the pain, I usually have more than one occasion or person to buy for so I'm having to pick out multiple cards in one setting. I've tried to fix this dilemma in the past but even if I deal with the matter before I head out to buy the cards, the urge never fails to show up.

Oh and to answer your question, there is no public restroom anywhere near the card shop. I've started going to Books-A-Million for this very reason but they just don't have as good of a selection. But don't think a little bladder issue is going to stop me, I will prevail!

I now leave you with some photos of me hangin' out in Paris...figuratively and literally!















Currently listening to: All That I Am - Santana

Comments:
it must be some sort of mental response. i get that OFTEN when i'm trying to pick something out like a card or a gift.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]