Monday, January 15, 2007

29 and holding…

My half birthday is this month, in 13 days to be exact. 29 ½…I know, exciting, right? I got to thinking about this because Tamara and I just got back from celebrating our friend Lauren’s last weekend of being 29. We had a great time visiting, meeting her friends from college and grad school, and grabbing on to a little Atlanta nightlife. The three of us have been friends since junior high school and it was great to reunite.

It was during the packing for this occasion that I decided to resurrect my camera and start trying again to document life more frequently. Unfortunately, these happened to be the type of people, Lauren in particular, that almost loathe the site of a camera and don’t like asking strangers to snap random photos. But, I did my best, chastising Lauren the whole time and forcing her to let me chronicle her birthday festivities.

Friday evening was lots of fun. Tam and I didn’t make it into town in time for
dinner but joined in the pub hopping anyway. Probably not the wisest idea on empty stomachs but we both faired pretty well considering and ended up noshing on some delicious hummus and great fish & chips at 1:00 in the morning. It was a random assortment of people but by the end of the night it was as if we’d all always been hanging out and promises to get together again were being thrown around, which is always nice even though usually due to a little alcohol consumption.

Saturday held a visit to the High Museum of Art where the first
installment of 3 years of collections from the Louvre is on exhibition. I have one brief observational statement: A high percentage of art patrons are very interesting. If I didn’t realize it before, I realize it now, and I will leave it at that!

Now, my documentation decision was somewhat hindered because apparently no photographs of any traveling exhibitions are allowed. Although there is nothing posted anywhere stating this sort of information. Even the security guard that searched my bag upon entrance to the museum failed to mention this as my camera was clearly in easy visible site. But whatever, I have no problem being a cooperative patron and dutifully put the camera away when this rule was made known to me. Once we made it to the High’s
permanent collection I pulled the camera back out and was quickly informed that the flash was to be off…which it was. A floor or two later I was approached with a request to see my photography badge. What? Does my Nikon look seriously threatening enough to require a badge? The guard stated that a badge had to be obtained from the museum office in order to take pictures. He did assure me that this did not cost anything. So I was supposed to get a FREE badge allowing me to take non-flash photos of the permanent collection only and I was supposed to know all of this without the information being posted anywhere? I wanted to voice this to Mr. Museum Guard but we had already had some communication difficulties so I just smiled and nodded…and snapped pictures when he wasn’t looking. (Apparently I find the need to keep the information headset on in the giftshop as seen here to the right...)

I have photos from the Met, the Uffizi, the British National Gallery, the Irish National Gallery…heck, even photos from 2 different visits to the Louvre itself…all with collections quite a bit more historic and valuable than the High. I’m not trying to diminish it at all though. It does have a few Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse sketches, a Jackson Pollock and Georgia O’Keeffe painting, and a cool Frank Lloyd Wright window. I’m just not sure where the Nazi camera stance came from. But, despite that, I did enjoy the visit, the beautiful art, and the lovely company.

After a visit to a neat little Spanish tapas bar, Fuego, Tam and I headed home trying to get back in time for
HER 30th birthday celebration. Her actual birthday isn’t until next week but she will be out of town so her family planned a celebration for her at one of the local restaurants. And when I say planned a celebration, I mean it…complete with balloons, table decorations, a tablecloth, presents, and Mamaw’s homemade carrot cake. Tamara was dreading it, and I don’t blame her but, it was nice and fun and it’s all over now.

So, needless to say, even though I am the baby and will be the last one in my group of friends to turn 30, the upcoming event has been brought to the forefront of my mind. My sister had a hard time with her third decade as did a few of my girlfriends. But I’ve never been one to be phased by getting older and this year is off to a good start so I feel as if I really have nothing but great things to look forward to. 30 is the new 20, right?





1. Historic houses at every turn…one of the reasons I love Midtown.
2. A view from the modern art collection
3. …workin’ at the carwash…
4. Taking up Serpents, Speaking in Tongues, Singing God's Praises - Jim Shores, 2003
5. part of a piece in a collection by the Rev. Howard Finster
6. art outdoors
Currently listening to: 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Stevie Wonder

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]