Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Rollergirls

My niece is in first grade this year and is very driven to achieve AR (Accelerated Reader) points. Students earn various points by reading and testing on approved books in this program and can then cash them in for certain rewards. Lil Miss has enough points to cash in so she decided to sign up for the skating reward party at school. But, she does not know how to skate. Apparently she misunderstood and thought she would get to go and watch ice skating, something similar to Disney on Ice.

Let’s recap, shall we? My niece has signed up for this party, she doesn’t know how to skate, and she’s the type that would be absolutely miserable if everyone was skating around her and she couldn’t join in. The solution? My mother and sister decided that I would teach Jordan how to skate. It appears that since I own a pair of rollerblades, I am the only qualified person in the family to take on this mission. This results in multiple phone calls and voicemails (you know, because rumor has it that I don’t answer my phone) from my niece for three straight days…we’re talking eleven calls on Sunday afternoon alone (In my defense, I was at a movie and the phone was on silent.).

So, after work yesterday, I picked her up and we headed over to the skating rink. What a trip down memory lane…birthday parties, Girl Scout all night skates, youth group functions, I loved skating as a kid! Anyway, she actually did really well and there was a marked improvement from the beginning to the end of the night. She got right out there and slipped, skated, and skidded all over…no fear. She had some hard falls and not so hard falls and is probably gonna have a bruise or two on her tush and her wrist might be a little sore but she was a trooper. A few more visits and she will be a pro in no time.

All of that to say (there is a theme here, I promise...albeit a loose one related to a recent previous post) I was seriously contemplating a cruise or a trip to Vegas for my “Dirty Thirty” (as afellowwaitress refers to it), but after last night I think a soiree at Roller Coaster Skate World may be in order!

Currently listening to: The Creek Drank the Cradle - Iron & Wine

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]